Statewide Update Email Program
The Statewide Update is an email newsletter program created at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic to help broaden awareness of key policy updates, programs, and information that affect residents.
As COVID-19 emerged, governments were forced to rapidly adapt policies as the virus spread and new needs developed. With information and policies changing so quickly, many residents became confused and misinformation became rampant. In addition to press conferences and social media, the State needed additional ways to reach residents with official updates proactively.
Innovation In Action
To provide the State with another way to proactively communicate with residents, OOI worked with agencies to rapidly build an audience for a newsletter by both leveraging significant site traffic to COVID-19.NJ.gov, and by using pre-existing email lists. To ensure the newsletter was as effective as possible, content was written in plain language with a focus on actionable steps. The newsletter also used frequent A/B testing to improve messaging, layout, design, and more. Search data and website traffic data, as well as the Administration’s policy priorities, informed what information, programs, and services were highlighted.
Impact + Metrics
- As of August, 2023, with more than 2.1 million subscribers, the Statewide Update reaches nearly a quarter of New Jersey’s population.
- To help overcome vaccine hesitancy, the Statewide Update sent 8 carefully crafted messages designed to address concerns. These emails resulted in 18.7 million opens, driving more than 132,000 visits to the Vaccine Appointment Finder as well as more than 200,000 additional visits to the COVID-19 Information Hub.
- As the pandemic has evolved, the newsletter has shifted from weekly updates about safety measures and COVID-relief programs to a biweekly newsletter highlighting programs and projects that might otherwise be underutilized.
- Office of the Governor
- NJ State Department of Health
- Statewide initiative, in partnership with all State entities
Last updated on 10/26/23