Data + Policy
The Data and Policy Team was created to support the State of New Jersey’s use of data, evidence, and performance evaluation to measure and improve digital services, policies, and programs to positively impact residents’ lives.
Data, evidence-based research, and performance evaluation serve as powerful tools for addressing complex public challenges, improving policy decision-making, and supporting project improvement strategies. However, teams and projects often lack the capacity and expertise to employ a data-driven approach to make strategic decisions that improve program and service outcomes.
Innovation In Action
The Data + Policy Team employs a variety of tools, strategies, and services to help State government partners better serve the public. These services include deploying data visualization and reporting tools, leveraging statistical data modeling and analysis, A/B testing and experimentation, designing surveys to optimize response rates and insights, conducting evidence-based policy reviews, and implementing innovative platforms to better engage with the public.
Impact + Metrics
- To inform how more than $100 million annually in funds earmarked for sustainability funding should be allocated, the Team engaged with the public using an innovative survey tool. By the end of the four-week voting period, 6,370 New Jerseyans engaged with the campaign, made selections 24,414 times and submitted 163 ideas.
- By supporting upgrades to a key data analytics platform, the Business Experience team was better able to understand how current and aspiring business owners are accessing content and services.
- The Data + Policy Team continues to work on projects that leverage data, evidence, and evaluation to positively impact resident’s lives. Currently, the Team is working on implementing an impact study of Lifelong Learnings Accounts (LiLA), developing tools to help teams serve the public equitably, and launching innovative engagements to bring residents into the policymaking process.
- Office of the Governor
- New Jersey State Department of Labor
- New Jersey State Economic Development Authority
Last updated on 10/26/23