COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment Finder
The COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment Finder helps users find and book open vaccine appointments nearest them. The tool compiles information in an easily searchable format from over a thousand vaccination sites run by the State, local health departments, pharmacies, and other health providers.
During the initial rollout of COVID-19 vaccines there was little information about where vaccines were available and how to make an appointment. Residents eager to get vaccinated resorted to calling pharmacies, doctors, and other health care providers, resulting in long phone wait times, overwhelmed health care workers, and delays in getting vaccinated.
Innovation In Action
OOI saw the opportunity to streamline a confusing and time-intensive process by building an online tool that addressed one of the greatest challenges to finding a vaccine appointment. Using an agile, iterative development process, OOI worked with the NJ Department of Health to launch a basic tool within weeks and then continued to refine and improve it based on user testing and comments rather than spending months to launch a “perfect” product.
Impact + Metrics
- Created a comprehensive list to locate open vaccine appointments in New Jersey, eliminating the need to spend hours on the phone calling multiple locations.
- In 2021, the Appointment Finder was viewed over 5 million times. By December 15, 2021, one year after the start of the State’s vaccination effort, more than 7 million New Jerseyans had received at least one dose, more than six million were fully vaccinated, and 1.6 million had gotten their booster shots.
- The appointment finder continues to be updated as needed with additional vaccine types, boosters, and more.
Resources and Additional Information
- NJ.com: N.J. launches new tool to help you find COVID vaccination appointments
- StateScoop: To get digital services right, government needs to stay crisis-ready
- NJ State Department of Health
- NJ State Office of Information Technology
Last updated on 10/26/23