New Jersey COVID-19 Information Hub
To improve access to information during the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, the NJ State Office of Innovation launched COVID19.NJ.gov, a centralized site that presented critical information from dozens of agencies in a user-friendly format.
At the onset of the pandemic, there was no centralized source for official State information about the virus. Residents had to comb through dozens of State websites to learn about restrictions on gatherings, public health guidance, business closures, or unemployment benefits. As a result, New Jerseyans struggled to find the information they needed and were more susceptible to rumors and misinformation.
Innovation In Action
Unlike traditional legacy government websites, which feature static content and press releases, OOI puts the user first and deploys data to identify residents’ needs and serve up relevant content in simple language to connect people with the information they need. Site content and layout are constantly updated based on frequent reviews of search data, user-submitted questions, and website behavior to proactively identify emerging needs or shortcomings in existing content.
Impact + Metrics
- As of August 2023, the COVID-19 Info Hub has been visited more than 110 million times. The site has been updated or enhanced more than 134,000 times.
- The COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment Finder, which was created in response to user demand, has been visited nearly 6 million times.
- The COVID-19 Info Hub continues to be regularly updated with latest news and information about the virus, vaccines, and State assistance programs.
- Building on the success of the COVID-19 Info Hub, OOI is adapting the same model of data- and user-driven content delivery to create information hubs that address specific needs or communities including low-income college students, transgender residents, individuals with disabilities, and more.
Resources and Additional Information
- Beeck Center Case Study: Building a Trusted Source of Information for COVID-19
- New Jersey’s COVID-19 Information Hub nominated by StateScoop for State IT Innovation of the Year
- TechCrunch: New Jersey launches online portal to give residents accurate answers about COVID-19
- StateScoop: Inside New Jersey’s data-driven content strategy to boost service delivery
- StateScoop: New Jersey’s new coronavirus website lets users ask questions
- Office of the Governor
- NJ State Department of Health
- NJ State Office of Information Technology
- NJ State Office of Emergency Management
- NJ 211
- Statewide initiative, in partnership with all State entities
Last updated on 10/26/23