The New Jersey State Office of Innovation’s Communication and Engagement (C+E) Lab is looking for a Marketing Lead to develop and execute marketing initiatives designed to better connect residents with State government benefits, programs, services, and products. You will create impact by understanding what motivates residents and using that understanding to develop an approach that moves people to action. You will be part of an innovative, dedicated, and high-performing team driven to change how the government communicates and create better outcomes for residents. You’ll have the unique opportunity to work at the intersection of public service and modern marketing best practices and shape the direction of this work as you go along.
About the Office of Innovation
The New Jersey State Office of Innovation improves the lives of New Jerseyans by solving public problems differently. Our work spans numerous issue and policy areas, and is focused on making an impact in the lives of the New Jerseyans that we serve. Our work has decreased the amount of time it takes to apply for Unemployment Insurance, made it easier to start, operate, and grow a business in the Garden State, and connected millions of New Jerseyans to government programs, services, and benefits. Our team members wear many hats, contributing to both the execution of core projects and the evolution of the Office of Innovation. We use data and modern research, design, and development methods to inform our decision making, and we collaborate with stakeholders within and outside of government to understand and solve challenges. This role is part of the C+E Lab - an initiative of the Office of Innovation to better connect residents with State government benefits, programs, services, and products. The C+E Lab uses consumer marketing techniques to change how government communicates to focus on what residents care about most. The C+E Lab’s work is informed by three core tenets:
- Improving the quality of the State’s marketing execution
- Building capacity in the State to market to residents
- Improving the ability of State stakeholders to effectively market to residents To learn more about the New Jersey Office of Innovation, visit our About Us page. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
As a part of the team, your responsibilities may include:
Develop marketing campaigns that move residents to action.
- Create public impact by using your consumer marketing skills to better connect New Jersey residents with the benefits, programs, and services that serve them.
- Plan, execute, and optimize multi-channel marketing campaigns, offline and on, across owned and earned channels, to drive brand awareness, generate leads, engage and activate residents
- Strategize and create nurture/drip campaigns aimed at moving leads through the marketing funnel
- Develop effective segmentation strategies across initiatives and audiences
- Develop relationships with and manage stakeholders and vendors
- Ensure our work is equitable in both reach and appeal
Develop creative strategies and assets that effectively answer the ultimate consumer question, “what’s in it for me?”
- Develop creative briefs and guide creative direction to meet objectives for all advertising and public-facing communications, including print, digital, and video assets
- Manage external resources that support the development and production of creative assets
- Contribute to the ideation of programs and approaches designed to move residents through the conversion funnel (i.e., email messaging series, multi-channel messaging and content program, etc.)
Use data and research to understand and optimize audiences, strategies and marketing performance.
- Optimize campaign performance by analyzing data, conducting A/B testing, and making data-driven decisions to improve conversion rates, click-through rates (CTR), and overall campaign effectiveness
- Take test & learn approach, use data/research to inform strategies and creative approaches
- Identify and implement new approaches to leverage data and research to inform campaign activities and outcomes
- Create learning to help understand if our marketing is equitable in its reach and appeal.
- Partner with Marketing Research Lead to develop analytical dashboards and ongoing reporting to drive data-driven insights and recommendations that will inform strategies and tactics
Be an integral part of an innovative, high-performing team.
- Partner with OOI and State agency stakeholders including product, policy, creative and external vendors/agencies to bring campaigns to life
- Additional duties and responsibilities as needed to advance the Office of Innovation’s mission
Do what’s needed for the team
- Execute additional duties and responsibilities to advance the Office of Innovation’s mission and work
Your role will take day-to-day direction from the C+E Lab’s Director.
Preferred Technical Experience, Skills and Abilities
A successful Marketing Lead is someone who is curious about audiences and developing programs that move them to action. You care about the impact your work has on the world. You are seeking a high performance and high impact career.
You have 5+ years experience related to the following expertise, skills, and abilities:
- Proven hands-on marketing experience driving growth and retention using owned and earned media channels, both online and off
- Creating, managing, and executing multi-channel marketing programs including search engine marketing, organic and paid social media, email marketing, email, mail/print campaigns, partner marketing and events to drive customer acquisition
- Hands-on experience leading the development of creative assets
- Strong project management, multitasking, and decision-making skills
- Metrics-driven marketing mind with eye for creativity
- Experience with marketing automation and CRM tools
- The willingness and desire to both lead and “do”: as a leading member of a small team, you’ll be interfacing with principals and presenting your work, but you’ll also be handling the administrative aspects of creating that work
- Patience and persistence: a strong desire to iterate, evolve, and work collaboratively with inside and outside expertise to help you create the best work product possible
- Willingness to experiment and explore new platforms or ways of marketing, creative production and audience engagement
- Desire to do impact driven work
We welcome applications that don’t meet 100% of our requirements. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply.
Compensation: Up to approximately $100,000 + Full benefits
The New Jersey Office of Innovation is proud to be an equal opportunity employer
We are deeply committed to the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusiveness and seek to create a pluralistic community for all.
We strongly encourage people of color, members of racial and ethnic minority groups, women, LGBTQI+ people, those with disabilities, and Veterans to apply. We are committed to building a team that is reflective of New Jersey’s incredible diversity.
We do not discriminate against any candidate because of color, race, age, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, membership in an employee organization, pregnancy, marital status, status as a parent, ancestry, national origin, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, retaliation, or other non-merit based factors.
You must be authorized to work in the United States. Candidates may be required to pass a background check and complete additional steps as part of the application and onboarding process. You will be considered an “at-will” employee, meaning both employer and employee have the right to terminate employment with or without cause or notice.