Data and Policy Lead
The New Jersey Office of Innovation is seeking a skilled and experienced professional to join our Data and Policy Team to leverage data and evidence to positively impact residents’ lives. The Data and Policy Team was created to strengthen the capacity of the New Jersey Office of Innovation and the broader State government to use data, evidence, and performance evaluation to measure and improve digital services, policies, and programs.
In this role, you’ll join a new team dedicated to offering data services and activities, including performance measurement, data analysis, data visualization, impact evaluation, and evidence-based policy research. Building upon past successes in the Office of Innovation, this team is looking to more effectively, systematically, and sustainably incorporate data, evidence, and evaluation into Office of Innovation and New Jersey government projects to solve public challenges. We are currently developing tools to help teams use data to improve the impact of digital products and services on under-resourced communities, analyzing data on the use of government websites to enhance service delivery, conducting policy research on emerging topics such as AI regulation, and designing and implementing A/B tests to improve the performance of online tools and public engagement.
Ideal candidates may specialize in data analytics and data science, evidence-based policy research, or a combination of both.
The role will report to a director of the Office of Innovation’s Data and Policy Team.
About the Office of Innovation
The New Jersey State Office of Innovation improves the lives of New Jerseyans by solving public problems differently. Our work spans numerous issue and policy areas, and is focused on making an impact in the lives of the New Jerseyans that we serve. Our work has decreased the amount of time it takes to apply for Unemployment Insurance, made it easier to start, operate, and grow a business in the Garden State, and connected millions of New Jerseyans to government programs, services, and benefits. Our team members wear many hats, contributing to both the execution of core projects and the evolution of the Office of Innovation. We use data and modern research, design, and development methods to inform our decision making, and we collaborate with stakeholders within and outside of government to understand and solve challenges.
As a part of the team, your responsibilities may include:
Data Analysis, Modeling, and Visualization:
- Lead specific analysis projects, extracting insights from large datasets while ensuring analyses are unbiased, equitable, and contextually relevant.
- Develop user-friendly data visualizations and dashboards for stakeholders.
- Apply advanced statistical modeling techniques and machine learning algorithms to build predictive and prescriptive models that solve real-world problems and inform policy development.
Performance Metrics Framework and Data Identification:
- Scope policy or project problems through a data lens, identifying data requirements and developing actionable recommendations.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify data needs and ensure data accuracy and integrity throughout the analysis process.
- Utilize strong communication and project management skills to drive data-driven initiatives effectively.
Data Sharing and Data Linkages:
- Collaborate on the access, sharing, and linkage of government datasets, contributing to the establishment of a robust data sharing framework.
- Source and provide expert advice on best practices for data collection, storage, and usage.
- Contribute to system-wide data collection processes and performance management systems in government.
Policy Research and Evaluation:
- Conduct comprehensive policy research to inform and guide data-driven initiatives.
- Collaborate with project teams and other stakeholders to understand policy problems and propose solutions.
- Stay updated with global best practices in evidence-based policy-making and recommend adaptations for New Jersey’s context.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of existing programs and services in a variety of contexts by analyzing and summarizing existing research.
Stakeholder Engagement and Collaboration:
- Collaborate with other government departments, academia, and research institutions to leverage their expertise and data resources.
- Engage with the public through the use of surveys and user testing
Do what’s needed for the team:
- Execute additional duties and responsibilities to advance the Office of Innovation’s mission and work
Preferred Technical Experience, Skills and Abilities:
Applicants will be assessed based on a demonstrated ability to accomplish the above-discussed responsibilities. We are seeking individuals with the following experience, expertise, skills, and abilities:
- Five or more years of applicable experience, focused on data analytics and/or policy research.
- Strong analytical and communication skills, with experience generating and using data to drive insights translating technical concepts into understandable .
- Understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of quantitative and qualitative research strategies.
- Excellent research experience, with the ability to quickly learn about new policy topics in short periods of time.
- Familiarity and experience with programming languages, statistical analysis techniques, data visualizations tools, and web analytics platforms.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail, with the ability to identify and troubleshoot technical issues effectively.
- Project management capabilities and the ability to work independently or collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for improving government performance and serving residents.
- Commitment to ethical data practices.
- Up-to-date knowledge of industry trends, best practices, and evolving technologies in web analytics and data governance.
- Graduate-level training in public policy, data science, statistics, economics, applied mathematics, and/or business is preferred, but not required.
Join our team and contribute to shaping data-driven policies and programs that make a real difference in the lives of New Jerseyans. Apply now and be a part of our journey to strengthen the state’s capacity through data science and analytics.
Compensation: Up to approximately $100,000 (depending on experience) + full benefits
The New Jersey Office of Innovation is proud to be an equal opportunity employer
We are deeply committed to the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusiveness and seek to create a pluralistic community for all.
We strongly encourage people of color, members of racial and ethnic minority groups, women, LGBTQI+ people, those with disabilities, and Veterans to apply. We are committed to building a team that is reflective of New Jersey’s incredible diversity.
We do not discriminate against any candidate because of color, race, age, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, membership in an employee organization, pregnancy, marital status, status as a parent, ancestry, national origin, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, retaliation, or other non-merit based factors.
You must be authorized to work in the United States. Candidates may be required to pass a background check and complete additional steps as part of the application and onboarding process. You will be considered an “at-will” employee, meaning both employer and employee have the right to terminate employment with or without cause or notice.